Mercer Advisors Tailors Your Portfolio to Your Unique Needs
Whether working, retired, or somewhere in between, our investment advisors ensure each client’s portfolio is tailored to meet his or her unique needs.
- We build, manage, and monitor an asset allocation with the highest probability of success that’s unique to your time horizon, financial needs, and risk tolerance.
- We screen out companies that don’t align with your social values, such as companies with poor environmental records or questionable employee rights practices.
- We invest in companies with high environmental, gender equity, social, and corporate governance ratings. In fact, in 2019, Mercer Advisors joined as the only Registered Investment Adviser signatory to the UN-backed “Principles for Responsible Investing,” a pledge whereby firms commit themselves to incorporating sustainability issues into their investment processes.
- We optimize your portfolio across taxable, tax-deferred, and tax-free accounts, taking into account your income level, capital gains, and our capital market assumptions. This ensures your portfolio is tax-efficient from a broad range of perspectives.
A Multifaceted Approach to Investment Management
We strive for superior risk-adjusted returns.
You invest to achieve specific financial goals. Our role is to ensure our portfolio management reliably helps clients achieve those goals. But investment returns are not free; the more return sought, the more risk must be undertaken. Our globally diversified, low-cost portfolios can deliver the highest probability of investment success.Speak With An Advisor
We embrace the power of science and academic research to build better portfolios.
Factor investing, also called “scientific” or “rules-based” investing, is an investment approach that invests in companies exhibiting certain quantifiable characteristics that have demonstrated through academic research to deliver superior risk-adjusted returns over time—not every time, but over time. Academic research suggests that overweighting certain factor exposures, such as value and momentum stocks, can add an additional 2% return annually over time on an equity index-based investment portfolio.1
We systematically and regularly rebalance portfolios.
You’ve likely heard the phrase “buy low and sell high.” This systematic rebalancing: a methodical, non-emotional exercise of simultaneously selling outperforming assets while buying underperforming assets. And it has been shown to add as much as 0.44% per year in additional return to a diversified portfolio.2Talk To Us
We build tax management into your investment portfolio.
Taxes can significantly erode investment returns. To help achieve superior after-tax returns, we work with our clients to ensure their portfolios are integrated with their overall financial plan and tax situation. Our clients benefit from a proactive tax planning strategy that works to minimize tax liability for current and future years. Studies show that proper tax management can add up to 1% per year to long-term returns.³
We walk with you on the path to Economic FreedomTM.
When working with a trusted financial advisor, you’ll partner with an expert who can help you understand the impact of certain decisions on your financial plan. Your advisor will get to know you, your family, and your goals, to provide tailored one-on-one guidance and oversight.Contact Us
- See Eugene F. Fama and Kenneth R. French, “The Cross-Section of Expected Stock Returns,” The Journal of Finance (June 1992); and Asness, Moskowitz, & Pedersen, “Value and Momentum Everywhere,” Chicago Booth Research Paper No. 12-53 Fama-Miller Working paper (November 2012).
- Envestnet|PMC Quantitative Research Group, “Capital Sigma: The Return on Advice,”
- Envestnet|PMC Quantitative Research Group, “Capital Sigma: The Return on Advice,” p.3’
An Investment Committee Focused on You
As a fiduciary, we manage your wealth with the same care and diligence with which we manage our own.
We understand that clients entrust to us their life savings, and that no two clients are alike. Some come to us with unique tax challenges, difficult family dynamics, or personal social values that they’d like to see incorporated in their portfolio. All clients share a desire to have their wealth managed using the best thinking available. Mercer Advisors is uniquely positioned to deliver on all these fronts, while meeting your investment goals.
Unlike many firms where a single advisor or perhaps the owners of a firm make all investment decisions, we have a separate 16-member investment committee that oversees investment research, policies, portfolios, and managers.
The Mercer Advisors Investment Committee, chaired by the firm’s Chief Investment Officer, consists of 16 diverse individuals from across the organization. Many hold advanced degrees and professional designations, and each brings a unique perspective and insight to the task at hand—managing your wealth and ensuring our clients achieve their long-term objectives. Committee members do so by collectively reviewing the latest academic research and market data, debating proposed changes, and collaborating with the rest of the Investment department to ensure the firm’s offerings remain at the forefront of wealth management practices.
Our Investment Committee is guided by several principles:
- We acknowledge and proudly embrace our responsibilities as trusted stewards of our clients’ wealth. We manage each client’s wealth as if it were our own.
- We are long-term investors, not speculators or traders. We don’t overreact to short-term market movements.
- We believe investing is a means to an end. Our objective isn’t to outperform arbitrary market benchmarks, but to build, manage, and monitor low-cost portfolios designed to reliably achieve clients’ financial goals over time.
- We believe in a quantitative, scientific approach to portfolio management and manager selection. Investing success requires having a repeatable, objective process. We’re not in the business of chasing Morningstar rankings, popular investing celebrities, or flavor-of-the-month investment strategies, products, or asset classes.
- We embrace the CFP Board’s financial planning process and believe a written, well-designed financial plan is a prerequisite to having a successful investing experience. Investing without a plan is a plan to fail.
- We work only with those managers who share our values and client-centric approach to finding you the best investment solutions and managing your wealth.
The result is a state-of-the-art investment platform that incorporates a full suite of investment offerings based on the latest academic research. It is uniquely designed to address each client’s individual needs – all within the context of a comprehensive financial plan.