7 Steps You Need to Immediately Take if you Have been a Victim of an Online Scam
If you suspect a scam, there are a few important steps you should take right away:
1. Call your financial institutions and make them aware of the scam.
2. Freeze your credit by calling the three credit bureaus.
- Equifax: Call 800.349.9960 or go online
- Experian: Call 888.397.3742 or go online
- TransUnion: Call 888.909.8872 or go online
3. Contact your local police or sheriff’s office to report the scam.
4. In case of Identity theft file a complaint with IdentityTheft.gov
5. File a complaint with the FTC online
6. File a complaint with the FBI online
7. File a complaint with your state attorney general office Find AG
Because all scams are different, you might have to reach out to a number of other local, state, and federal agencies depending on your situation.